Saturday 3 March 2012

I've Never Accomplished Anything Significant on My Own.

I was just thinking about how I can't think of any time where I have ever set out to accomplish something, and done so based off of sheer will.  You hear all these great stories about how successful people go out and accomplish what they set their mind to because they never gave up until they reached their goal.  Even though I consider myself a pretty driven person (with certain things), I don't have any stories like that.  I can honestly say that anything I've ever accomplished has happened when I least expected it, not because I decided that I was going to go out and get it done. 

With this said, there have been many things that I have gone out and tried to accomplish, and some of them I have actually accomplished, but the interesting thing is that my statements above still hold true.  Even though I accomplished them, they happened when I least expected it.  They happened in God's timing, not my own.  Where I have most often found this to be true in my life is in sports.  One example was with a particular goal that I set out to accomplish in my Freshman year of college golf.  I wanted so badly to accomplish this goal, but I figured that in order for it to happen I was going to have to work my tail off and will myself to do it.  The crazy thing was that I did end up accomplishing it in my Junior year, but I did so when I was actually playing some of the worst golf that I had played in my entire college career.  I all of a sudden had a really good day on the course which led to me accomplishing the goal.  I don't know how else to explain it, but to say that it was a blessing from God.

Now when I say these things, I am not saying that God "fixes" results - in sports or in any other areas of life.  Truth be told, maybe He does, He's God and He can do whatever He wants.  If I had to bet on it though, I would bet that He doesn't do this.  I do believe however that He blesses, and that He blesses efforts when we do our part and work our hardest. 

What I am saying now may seem hypocritical.  It may sound like I am saying that I have never been able to will myself to accomplish something, but then just said that God doesn't fix results and that you have to do your part and work your hardest to get things done.  Truth be told, I am having a hard time putting my thoughts into words, but what I am actually trying to say is the following:  I have learned that I need to always work my hardest at everything I ever pursue as if the results depend solely on me, but I must recognize in doing so that they do not depend on me, they depend on God.  Therefore, I need to work my hardest at all things, and then surrender all results to God.  I believe that this is why I feel like I have never been able to will myself to accomplish things.  My efforts have definitely played a part in the accomplishments, but I have put the efforts in, and then had to wait on God and His timing for whether or not the goals are accomplished.  And truthfully many times they haven't been, but that's okay because I believe that God knows what's best for me, and I only want to accomplish that which He wants me to.

I have sometimes thought about this and thought, "I wish I could will myself to accomplish things.  I wish I could be one of those people who wills themself to success".  I now think differently.  I love the fact that it is God who decides what I accomplish.  He is in control of all things, and is good enough to allow me to pursue my goals and dreams, as long as my attitude in doing so is pleasing to Him.  I am thankful for the fact that I can honestly say that anything I've ever accomplished has been directly related to His timing and His blessings, that it has been Him who has been in control of the results of all my efforts in life.  I'm glad that I'm not willing myself to accomplish things that I think are best for me when they really aren't.  I'm glad that the One who knows what's best for me, and has my absolute best interests at heart, is the One in control of the things that I accomplish in life.  I find this exciting because it means that the God of the universe, the ultimate "Celebrity" takes an interest in me and my life.  He cares about me, wants what's best for me, and is leading me along the path that He wants.  I think that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment