Monday 30 April 2012

It's not worth not spending time with God

The last month or so I have found myself becoming somewhat complacent in my relationship with God.  I have allowed myself to get distracted by events taking place in my life and have not dedicated the time that I should to spending time with God in prayer and study of the Bible.  And it has been through this time that I have noticed that I don't have the same sense of fullfillment, peace, joy and general happiness that I have had during those times where I have been better focused on my relationship with Him.

The reason why I bring this up is because I have had discussions with people who dismiss my own personal experiences with God as valid proof of His existence.  While I understand why they may be hesitant to take my word for it, the fact of the matter is that my claims are true.  When I am putting forth my best effort in pursuing and developing my relationship with God, it is during those times that I am most fullfilled.  This past month or so has proven this that much further to me.  It's not something I'm faking.  It's just fact.  I know that when others hear this they often become skeptical because they feel that I am doing this in my own mind.  They think things like because I am so used to pursuing my relationship with God, that when I am not doing it in a way that I feel is putting forth my best effort, I don't feel "myself" and therefore I don't feel fullfilled, joyful, happy, etc..  I don't buy this argument for one second; with the reason being that if this were true - if people could simply "fool" themselves into happiness and fulfillment - then the universal truth that "money does not buy happiness" would not be exactly that - universal truth.  If God were not real, then the joy and fullfillment that Christians who pursue Him feel would all be in their heads.  And if this is true, then that means that we are able to make ourselves happy and fullfilled through anything that we truly believe will make us happy - as long as we believe strongly enough in it.  Well, a very large percentage of people in our world today believe very strongly that money can  make them happy, but human history has proven otherwise.  We cannot make ourselves happy by simply believing strongly enough in something.  In order to experience true happiness, joy and fullfillment, that "something" has to be real.  Jesus is real, and that is why when I pursue Him, love Him, and grow in my relationship with Him, I do feel fullfilled, joyful and happy; and when I am not pursuing Him like I should, I do not feel as much so.  It's not something I'm imagining, it's truth.  I'd love for all people to be able to experience this for themselves, but sadly most choose not to.  In the words of C.S. Lewis, "We are far too easily pleased".

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you're addressing me, but if you are I want to make a couple things more clear. I hope I didn't make it seem like I thought you were lying. John is no liar! Nor do I think your happiness is dependent on your worship. If someone else suggested this to you, I hope you immediately recognized that they are taking an extremely unsophisticated approach and are demonstrating a profound misunderstanding of happiness. Happiness is hard to define, hard to study, hard to make predictions about.

    Like I mentioned before, there are some of the most brilliant minds on the planet are theists(many, such as Francis Crick have scientific training and attempt o square their beliefs with the science). By no means should the Christian accept the dunce cap. I sometimes find myself in a strange position- wanting to jump to the defence of the theist if they are attacked with a dumb argument, while still pointing out that iron age literature burdens society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FRANCIS COLLINS! Not Francis Crick. My bad.

      Delete
  2. No worries my friend! I appreciate your comment, and I am talking generally in regards to what I've found in various experiences.

    And I'm sorry I haven't responded to your last post on your blog, I will...Brie and I moved and I haven't been blogging in a while.

    ReplyDelete