Saturday 11 February 2012

Run the Race

"Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.  So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.  I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should."
(1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

I really like this passage because of the sport imagery.  Living life as a Christian really does involve training.  I have often looked at this verse and appreciated it, but I feel like today was the first time that it really hit me like it should.  If I say that I am a Christian and that I want to live my life for Christ, then I need to live like this verse says to.  I need to train, and work and sweat and do whatever it takes to become more like Jesus.  It will be hard, it will never come easy, but it is definitely worth it - for I am working to glorify God, and in doing so the Bible is clear that God will reward me for my efforts when I get to Heaven.  The world will definitely see me as strange, but I can never care about that.  God has created me for His purposes, and a major part of that is to know Him personally on a very deep level.  I want to make Him proud.  I don't want to be a hypocrite.  I don't want to say that I love Jesus and that He is Lord of all aspects of my life, but then serve Him non-chalantly.  This is a 24/7 commitment....a 24/7 blood, sweat and tears, work my tail off commitment, so as to love, serve and become more like Him.  I am in training, running toward the finish line, running as hard as I can until He alone decides it's time for me to stop.

2 comments:

  1. What an eye opening message! Thanks so much for sharing this Jonathan. Your doing a great job with your blogging. Keep em comming!

    ReplyDelete